Dog friendly attractions in West Sussex
With the South Downs National Park at the heart of the County, walkies has never been so appealing! From the Downs to National Trust gardens – there’s plenty of choice. Why not visit:
- The beautifully manicured grounds of West Dean Gardens (Chichester) and Borde Hill Gardens (Haywards Heath) – both welcome dogs on leads.
- The National Trust also allows dogs in the grounds of a number of their stately homes and gardens including Petworth’s 700 acre estate, Nyman’s in Handcross and Standen House situated in East Grinstead.
- If you are looking for something a little more adventurous, explore the dozens of pathways that run throughout Whiteways Woods in Arundel.
- There are numerous walks across the South Downs that you can download routes for, one of the favourites being the Centurion Way.
Pubs, restaurants, cafés
After all that walking, you’ll need to refresh and refuel. Check out some of these dog friendly places in West Sussex.
- Located on Highdown Hill (another brilliant place for a walk, located between Littlehampton and Worthing), Highdown Tea Rooms allow dogs and even stocks doggy ice cream!
- If cosying up in the pub is more your thing, try The Black Rabbit in Arundel. Stretch your legs with a thirty minute walk from the train station to the pub to grab a drink before heading off to explore the beauty of this historic market town.
- Stop off for a sandwhich and a slice of cake with your dog in tow at Berties of Arundel.
- The Worlds End and The Swallows Return pub & restaurants both welcome dogs and are within close reach of Worthing.
- The Bluebird café in Ferring is located right on the beach front, and it’s the ideal place to stop on a coastal stroll.
Pack up your bag and your pooch for a relaxing stay in the best of West Sussex’s pet friendly accommodation.
- The Goodwood Hotel, just outside of Chichester, is available for check in with selected pet friendly rooms.
- Bailifscourt (Climping), Ockenden Manor (Cuckfield) and The Spread Eagle (Midhurst) all offer pet friendly getaways, complete with doggy welcome packs!
- Picturesque Petworth offers The Welldiggers Arms. A snuggly country pub with 14 lavish rooms that all accept dogs.
- Based on the Tinwood Estate in Chichester, Tinwood Lodges offer a unique stay for you and your furry plus one.
- For more great ideas on where to stay whilst you’re in West Sussex you can check out the Pets Pyjamas.