Eleven things to do in West Sussex
West Sussex is home to some of the county’s most incredible beaches, gardens, activity destinations and heritage sites, making our slice of the south a fantastic place to explore!
We’ve put together a list of fantastic, family-friendly ideas for you to do throughout West Sussex.
- Amberley Museum and Heritage Centre – Discovering the industrial heritage of West Sussex has never been easier. This interactive experience is definitely worth setting a day aside for. Learn about transport, industry, communications and craft all the while taking in some fantastic views on the nature trails set on this spectacular 36-acre site. A small 15-minute car journey from Arundel and Pulborough train stations, this is not a day out to be missed and certainly an ideal day to bask in the West Sussex sunshine.
- Huxley’s Birds of Prey Centre and Gardens – With impressive gardens and a number of breath-taking birds of prey to get up close to, this is a sure winner for a day out with the family. Learning about the birds, the centre’s conservation efforts and exploring the incredible array of blooms is a fantastic way to spend Sussex Day.
- Worthing, Seaside Destination – As one of the largest seaside towns on the South Coast and a competitor for the biggest West Sussex seaside town, Worthing is the ideal destination to celebrate Sussex, all year round. With an award-winning pier, an observation wheel and a quintessential English seaside holiday feel, there is plenty to see and do at the seaside and around the town.
- Bolney Wine Estate – Nestled on the cusp of the South Downs; a short drive inland from the seaside, the unique Bolney Wine Estate is on a mission to produce the very best artisanal wines. Enjoy a tutored tasting or winery walkthrough with a delicious meal from the Eighteen Acre Café. If you plan on spending your day in style, there is no better place than with the pioneers of English wine.
- Arundel Walking Tours – A perfect presentation of history and heritage, Arundel Walking Tours cover a plethora of country pursuits, cobbled streets and the infamous Arundel Castle. Rich in culture, antique shops and quaint cafes, this tranquil spot makes for a fantastic day out.
- West Sussex Spas – Built on 30 acres of private parkland, Bailiffscourt Hotel and Spa welcomes guests to a sleek country escape near Climping beach. Taking inspiration from nature, the spa experience offers a peaceful retreat to relax and rejuvenate, the ideal escape for those looking to wind down.
- Cave Active – Chichester Harbours very own SUP Safari. Looking for an active way to spend your day? Whether you’re a beginner to SUP or a watersports expert, you can explore the South Downs National Park from the River Arun by paddleboard. With trips and tours taking place daily, make sure to book your space ahead of time.
- Glorious Gardens – A stone’s throw from Henfield, Sussex Prairie Gardens boasts a celebrated eight acres of exquisite naturalistic gardens, connected by a network of paths to encourage exploration of the grounds. Join for a garden tour and bask in the Sussex summer sunshine.
- Tilgate Nature Centre – This popular Crawley destination is a perfect affordable family day out, housing 100s of species of animals, from otters and owls to reindeer and ravens, there is something for everyone. The neighbouring Tilgate Forest is also perfect for a walk, ride or cycle and is home to a fantastic Go Ape course.
- Shoreham Art Gallery – Run by professional artists, this gallery hosts several world-renowned pieces and their creators. Packed to the brim with art, culture, and creatives, this small but mighty gallery is the hub for all things crafts with walk-ins welcome and one-off workshops, you don’t want to miss out on exploring your creative side.
- Petworth House and Park – Based on 700-acre grounds this extensive park and property is well known for being home to hundreds of fallow deer and a 1,000-year-old oak tree. This property and its glorious grounds give escape to the country a new meaning.
Some special events to look out for –
The Artisan Bakehouse – Internationally renowned baker and author, Emmanuel Hadjiandreou, demonstrates the skills and techniques to recreate perfect pastry with a number of special workshops available to book, read more.
Sparkling Sussex Bike Tour – Enjoy the best of West Sussex this Sussex Day, and the wonderful wines produced with a carefully curated itinerary taking in local landmarks and vineyards.