- Hop on an evening train after work (with your bikes if you have them), and race the setting sun down to Chichester. From here it’s a short taxi ride to beautiful West Wittering.
- Ahhhh…smell that sea air! Tonight you’ll be combining the seaside with style, as you’re booked into The Beach House boutique B&B.
- Enjoy dinner in the Hotel restaurant – try the Sea Bass Fillet, Chorizo & Sweet Potato Broth (if it’s on) - then grab an early-ish night. You’ll need all your energy for tomorrow.
- Rise and shine! Grab breakfast and your bikes – or hire them from Saya's News, just round the corner - and pedal out to 2XS Watersports at West Wittering beach (aka The Witterings).
- Prepare to make a splash. Your instructor will be waiting to get you kitted out for a lesson in windsurfing, kitesurfing or stand-up paddleboarding. What’s your flavour?
- By lunch you’ll be an expert. Even if you’re not, you’ll have built up a decent appetite. Grab a casual lunch or a choc ice at the Beach Café while you enjoy stupendous views and salty air.
- Get back in the saddle and cycle back to The Beach House for a shower and freshen-up.
- Saddle up and helmets on - It’s time for a lovely, leisurely afternoon on the bikes.
- You could follow the B2179 northwards before joining the A286 at Birdham (the quickest way), but we think it’s better to pursue the back lanes, taking in Birdham Pool Marina and Chichester Yacht Club, and hugging the beautiful Fishbourne Channel as you make your way across the salt flats to the stunning town of Bosham.
- Lock up your bikes and have a wander around Bosham. The church is beautiful (and even featured in the Bayeux Tapestry), there’s some lovely independent shops, and you can play at being King Canute by trying to hold back the tide. (Good luck with that.)
- The dinner reservation you made at the Millstream Hotel looks pretty smart right now. Did you plump for the restaurant or brasserie? Either way, you’re in for a treat.
- Either leave enough time and daylight to cycle home, 0r book a taxi back to The Beach House (making sure you mention the bikes) for some well-deserved rest.
- It’s Sunday, so enjoy a leisurely breakfast. Eggs are good. Poached Eggs Royale at The Beach House are even better.
- By now you and the bike should be as one together. Let’s hope so anyway, because it’s time to get back in the saddle and head inland.
- Head inland and northwards, making your own path. Circle Chichester before going through Tangmere - which played a big part in the Battle of Britain - and Goodwood, world-famous for its racetrack and festival.
- Don’t miss (especially if the sun’s shining) the outstanding Cass Sculpture Museum. You’ll get to see see the cutting edge of contemporary sculpture in a beautiful country setting. Well worth a few hours.
- For something more traditional, the 400-year old (and curiously titled) Fox goes Free will be just the ticket. This stunning country inn in Charlton has an extensive beer garden, and does great bar and a la carte food. Make mine a burger with extra streaky bacon.
- I’m afraid you can’t sit there all day: you’ve still got to cycle back. It’s time to point your handlebars towards West Wittering.
- Park up your bikes (or return them if hired) and enjoy a farewell walk along the beach. If you’re in a couple take a selfie, so you can frame it and put it on your mantelpiece to remember this moment for ever. Alternatively, don’t - it’s your call.
- Check out of The Beach House, pop your bags in the boot and take a cab back to Chichester to meet your train home. That’s a weekend that worked out.